I have experience of working empathically with a variety of age groups and abilities, this ranges from the very young to teenagers (teaching primary, secondary and sixth form) to the retired ( in care/nursing homes).
I worked as a Teacher for 25 years within the Dorset area. I started my Teaching career in Primary Education moving to Secondary Education working with Young People aged 16 – 19 years. I have experience of working with all ability levels and I have a Real Passion and Belief that through talking and being listened to all people have the ability to achieve, change and be that person they want to be!
Working with a superb mixed group of teenagers made me realise how much more I could offer if only I had the Counselling Skills and Qualifications.
Qualifications, Training and Workshops I have completed for Counselling are as follows and as a requirement from my Governing Body (bacp) I am fully committed to continue my Training to keep myself Professionally up to date. This is audited yearly by the bacp.
Qualifications, Training, Workshops and Seminars:
- Cognitive Behaviour Therapy Skills and Theory CBT-L5 (CPCAB)
- Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling TC-L4 (CPCAB)
- Certificate in Counselling Studies (CPCAB)
- Certificate in Counselling Skills (CPCAB)
- Working With Young People 11 to 18 yrs
- Supervision of Counsellors Working with Adult Survivors of Childhood Abuse and Neglect. Trauma (H2H)
- DBS (police check) Certificate/ Safeguarding
- MBSR Mindfulness Course, Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction, Heal Your Body, Emotions and Life (Dorset Mindfulness Centre)
- Working with Adult Survivors of Childhood Abuse (DAA)
- International Men’s Day Conference (Poole Lighthouse)
- Compassionate Focused Therapy with Adult Survivors of Childhood Abuse workshop (DAA)
- Understanding and Working with Perpetrators of Childhood Sexual Abuse workshop (DAA)
- Crossing the Line Seminar (West Dorset District Council)
- Working with Adult Survivors of Childhood Abuse Through the Judicial Process workshop (DAA)
- Counselling for Depression (CfD) An Evidence-based NICE Approved, Person-Centred Therapy for Depression, a seminar with Peter Pearce ( Salisbury Seminars)
- Karma Nirvana Honour Based Violence and Forced Marriage Roadshow (Poole Lighthouse)
- Art Therapy, A workshop with Marie Laywine (Bournemouth and Poole College)
- Creative Play & use of Metaphor (Step4ward)
- Registered Member of the British Association for Counsellors and Psychotherapists (MBACP registration number 305401
- Fully Insured
- ico. Certificate (GDPR)
My Counselling/Supervision Work and Experience alongside my Private Practice
I have worked volunteering for 5 years at a local Counselling Agency specialising in providing long term Counselling for Adult Survivors of Childhood Abuse. (Dorset Action on Abuse DAA, known recently as Hurting to Healing H2H)
After Qualifying as a Supervisor I volunteered regularly at Hurting to Healing Supervising a small group of Counsellors who worked weekly with Survivors of Childhood Abuse and Neglect.
I have gained experience working alongside Doctors as a Counsellor at a local Doctors Medical Centre providing short, medium term Counselling for Patients referred by their Doctor to the Counselling Department. My experience there covered a wide range of presenting Mental Health Issues. (DRMC)
To maintain a high quality of therapeutic work, I undergo regular Clinical Supervision where I talk about my work with clients in confidence. My Supervisor is bound by the same Ethical and Professional Code as me and she is also a Member of the bacp. Any client work I talk about in supervision is always anonymous as it is more about my work with you, making sure I am doing the best for you in our therapy sessions.
My Personal Experience of Counselling
As part of my training I undertook 40 hours of my own personal therapy, this was to be better able to support my clients and to understand and experience it myself. It has given me insight into how it may be for you , the client, to embark on this unknown journey.