I have experience of working empathically with a variety of age groups and abilities, this ranges from the very young and teenagers (teaching) to the retired ( care/nursing homes)
I worked as a teacher for 25 years within the Dorset area. I started off my teaching career in Primary education moving to Secondary education working with young people aged 16 – 19 years. I have experience of working with all ability levels and I have a real passion and belief that through talking and being listened to all people have the ability to achieve, change and be that person they want to be!
Working with a super mixed group of teenagers made me realise how much more I could offer if only I had the counselling qualifications.
Qualifications, training and workshops I have completed in counselling and as a requirement from my governing body I am fully committed to continue my training to keep myself professionally up to date, this is audited yearly by the BACP.
Qualifications, Training, Workshops and Seminars:
- Cognitive Behaviour Therapy Skills and Theory CBT-L5 (CPCAB) *
- Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling TC-L4 (CPCAB)
- Certificate in Counselling Studies (CPCAB)
- Certificate in Counselling Skills (CPCAB)
- I have a recent DBS (police check) Certificate
- MBSR Mindfulness Course, Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction, Heal Your Body, Emotions and Life (Dorset Mindfulness Centre)
- Working with Adult Survivors of Childhood Abuse (DAA)
- International Men’s Day Conference (Poole Lighthouse)
- Compassionate Focused Therapy with Adult Survivors of Childhood Abuse workshop (DAA)
- Understanding and Working with Perpetrators of Childhood Sexual Abuse workshop (DAA)
- Crossing the Line Seminar (West Dorset District Council)
- Working with Adult Survivors of Childhood Abuse Through the Judicial Process workshop (DAA)
- Counselling for Depression (CfD) An Evidence-based NICE Approved, Person-Centred Therapy for Depression, a seminar with Peter Pearce ( Salisbury Seminars)
- Karma Nirvana Honour Based Violence and Forced Marriage Roadshow (Poole Lighthouse)
- Art Therapy, A workshop with Marie Laywine (Bournemouth and Poole College)
* Currently Studying
- Registered Member of the British Association for Counsellors and Psychotherapists (MBACP)
- Fully Insured
My Counselling Work and Experience as well as my Private Practice
I work at a local counselling agency on a weekly basis and have worked for them as a counsellor for the past 18 months. This agency specialises in providing long term counselling for adult survivors of childhood abuse. (DAA)
I have also worked as a counsellor at a local doctors medical centre once a week providing short, medium term counselling for patients referred by their doctor to the counselling department. I worked there for a year and my work covered a wide range of presenting issues. (DRMC)
To maintain a high quality of therapeutic work I undergo regular Clinical Supervision where I talk about my work and what I could improve upon. My supervisor is bound by the same ethical and professional code as me and she is also a member of the BACP. Any client work I talk about in supervision is always anonymous as it is more about my work with you, to make sure I am doing the best for you in therapy.
My personal experience of counselling
As part of my training I undertook 40 hours of my own personal therapy, this was to be better able to support my clients and to understand and experience it myself. It has given me insight into how it may be for you , the client, to embark on this unknown journey.